ADULT LITERACY PROGRAM
The Literacy Program recruits and manages volunteer tutors that offer one-on-one or small group tutoring for adults that want to improve their literacy skills for personal or job-related goals. Instruction includes increasing reading skills, GED/HSED preparation, English language communication skills, basic computer skills, and enhancing job skills.
SKILLS ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM
The Skills Enhancement Program (SEP) offers an opportunity for low wage and/or low income working adults to increase their income status and benefits, and improve their quality of life. Financial assistance is provided in the form of tuition, books, childcare, and transportation, to help individuals pursue a short-term training program that builds their skills and future wage.
Skills Enhancement Eligibility
- Household income under 150% Federal Poverty Level
- Working an average of 20 hours per week
- Reside in West CAP service area
SEP is designed to assist with short-term training. Short term training is most likely to mean tech school, or a condensed training program such as a four-week C.N.A training program. It is not for individuals who are enrolled in a four-year degree program, unless they hold at least junior status.
- As a result of training, wages increase an average of $5.00 per hour
- Access to employer sponsored health insurance
How SEP may be able to assist
- Tuition and related educational expenses
- Reimbursement for school related transportation
- Assistance with child care
Due to extremely limited funding, we are the payer of last resort. All other sources of assistance must be explored first.
The Skills Enhancement Program is designed to be an on-going partnership with the client, not a source of one-time assistance. To that end, participants will be expected to:
- Meet with SEP staff, develop a training plan
- Maintain regular contact with SEP staff
- Inform staff of changes (address, phone, income, household members, etc)
- Complete and return all forms as required
- Participate in follow-up surveys after exiting the program
To apply for the Skills Enhancement Program call 1-800-606-9227, or you can apply online below:
Download Additional Resources: