Glenwood Commons Student Housing

(click here for more information)




Community Coming Together to Support Residents of Lowrey Hotel

The Lowrey Hotel will close on August 31, 2018 following the non-renewal of its building lease. Over the past three months, several agencies and local organizations – St. Croix County Health & Human Services, WestCAP, Salvation Army Grace Place, United Way of the St. Croix Valley, City of New Richmond, New Richmond Area Chamber of Commerce, New Richmond Police Department, Wisconsin Department of Corrections – have been meeting on a regular basis to plan for this transition and to help find alternative housing options for the current residents of the Lowrey Hotel. With the closing date quickly approaching, the New Richmond community is coming together to provide services and support to residents as they seek alternative housing.

Please Click link to see ways you can help.         Press Release_Community Coming Together to Support Residents of Lowrey Hotel

Community Coming Together to Support Residents of Lowrey Hotel: Flyer




West CAP will be accepting applications beginning July 1, 2018 through September 28, 2018 for the Pierce/St. Croix and Polk County Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program waiting lists. Applications must be in our office no later than 4:00pm on Friday, September 28, 2018.  Late applications will not be accepted.

The Section 8 Housing Voucher Choice Program is a program of the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD). The purpose of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is to provide housing opportunities for low-income households.

Persons in the rental assistance program are required to pay a portion of their income for rent. The Section 8 Program pays the balance of the rent directly to the landlord.

To request your application please call West CAP, Inc. at 715-265-4271 or 800-606-9227 or CLICK HERE




Effective 9/1/2018

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) for Pepin & St. Croix County will be administered by West CAP for Federal Fiscal Year 2019.

If you are a Pepin county resident and have No Heat Emergency at a time when our office is not open, please call the Sheriff’s Department at 1-715-672-5944. For St. Croix county, call the Sherriff’s Department at 1-800-281-3478. They will contact the appropriate department on your behalf.

Click here to complete an Online Application for Energy Assistance.

Click here to print a WHEAP application


Recruitment: West CAP Board of Director Position

West CAP is currently seeking a low income representative from Polk County for our Board of Directors.  This is an excellent opportunity to assist our organization with developing programs that meet the needs of the community as well as gain personal/professional experience as a Board of Directors member. Our meetings are once a month and held at Best Western Plus, Menomonie, WI. We will reimburse your mileage and pay a $100 monthly meeting stipend.

West CAP, (West Central Wisconsin Community Action Agency, Inc.) founded in 1965, operates a number of federal, state and locally funded programs designed to assist low-income people increase their self-reliance.

The mission of West CAP is to take action against poverty by developing the social and economic assets of low-income families and their communities and by working to create a more just and sustainable society.

Community Action Agencies serve nearly 11 million low-income people yearly in 96 percent of the nation’s counties.  There are 16 Community Action Agencies in Wisconsin and West CAP represents seven counties within the state: Barron, Chippewa, Dunn, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, and St. Croix.  West CAP is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of elected local public officials, representatives of the low-income community, and appointed leaders from the private sector. Please refer to our web site to learn more about the current programs administered: www.westcap.org.

Candidates must be at or below the 125% federal poverty guideline and must live in Polk County:


2017 Federal Poverty Guidelines: 125 %
1 in household $15,075 annual
2 $20,300
3 $25,525
4 $30,750
5 $35,975
Each additional add $5,225


If you are interested, please call Jessica Rudiger, Executive/Board Affairs Committee Liaison, at 715-265-4271, ext. 1321 or email: jrudiger@wcap. Thank you for your consideration.


Strong, Secure Families

Sustainable Communities

West CAP is proud of its history as an innovative, forward thinking organization.  Established in 1965, West CAP was one of the first community action agencies in the United States. Since then, West CAP has worked to promote the self-sufficiency of low-income families in the rural communities of west central Wisconsin, operating as an equal opportunity employer and service provider.  West CAP continues to help families overcome poverty and achieve economic stability by following its mission:



The West CAP / LICO2e™ Exploratory Partnership: A Public-Private-Partnership for De-Carbonization & Social Equity

West CAP is an evidence based, non-profit committed to the alleviation of poverty in America, especially in West Central Wisconsin. We are driven by the search for restorative and regenerative solutions to social issues that are also environmentally responsible and economically disruptive in favor of low-income citizens and the elimination of poverty across the communities and counties we serve.

West CAP has a long history and national reputation for its innovative programming.

We are proud to announce the launch of our latest innovation, exploring a partnership with LICO2e™ – a public benefit corporation – to bring ‘Locally and Regionally Invested Carbon Offset’ funding opportunities to as many  of our program areas as possible.

As one example of such a possibility, in 2011, Chevrolet / GM paid $750,000 to the State of Maine Housing Authority to weatherize 5,500 low to moderate income homes.  From that weatherization, and the Verified Carbon Standard certification of carbon offsets, Chevrolet received 45,738 metric tons of carbon offsets to balance against the carbon producing nature of their manufacturing and automobiles produced.  While the amount of carbon offsets in this case are relatively small, it is also the philanthropic nature of this investment by a major corporation that sets the lead and the mechanisms for the breadth and depth of investments by the thousands of corporations seeking to do the right thing for the right reasons with their corporate wealth; that is, public-private-partnerships for investing in environmental performance that also yields significant social equity outcomes.

This is what the West CAP /LICO2e™ Exploratory Partnership is all about.

Stay tuned as we get our work underway that can truly bring significant monetary benefit to West CAP programs and the folks we serve.


"The mission of West CAP is to take action against poverty by developing the social and economic assets of low-income families and their communities and by working to create a more just and sustainable society."

West CAP
525 Second Street
PO Box 308
Glenwood City, WI 54013